The tzatziki is definitely one of the best known and most popular recipes of Greek cuisine : it is virtually impossible to go to Greece and do not taste , even by mistake, this sauce.
Thanks to its special taste and versatility , the Greeks used the tzatziki to accompany most dishes , from fish to meat to salads to rice.
- 1 container (16 ounces) plain lowfat yogurt
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, not peeled, seeded and finely chopped plus a few thin slices
- 1/1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh mint or dill plus additional sprigs
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
First wash and grate the cucumber ( with the skin ) very roughly on the chunky side of the grater (1): put it in a strainer contents into a bowl and let drain vegetable water for at least 1 hour ( 2 ) . After the time necessary to squeeze the cucumber with the back of a spoon ( 3).
Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic in a blender or maybe passing it pounding in a mortar to obtain just a garlic cream (4). Put the yogurt in a bowl and mix with the garlic and cucumbers (5).
At this point, pour the oil and vinegar alternately ( 6-7 ) by mixing with a whisk or spoon. Finally add salt and add the chopped dill ( 8-9).